Frequently Asked Questions

Common questions

  • Students who have successfully completed either the Beginner RiderCourse or the H-D@ New RiderCourse will receive a course completion card. Present this course completion card at any Missouri license office within a calendar year to obtain the M endorsement on your Missouri driver's license. Please check your local Missouri license office for information regarding fees and documentation required.

  • Each training site is an independent training provider that sets their own schedule and tuition fee. Please see our map of training locations and contact your local training provider to find out their class fee and schedule.

  • Illinois motorcycle riders pay an annual fee to support rider education in their state. The Missouri Motorcycle Safety Program does not receive any money from motorcycle riders.

  • Your home state sets its own policy with regards to motorcycle licensing and training reciprocity. You should always check with the license office in your home state BEFORE signing up for a Missouri class. It is your responsibility to know whether or not your Missouri completion card will be accepted in your home state before you register.

  • No. The Missouri State Highway Patrol, Examination Division, which can be reached at (573) 526 6221, does not recognize any MSF training that takes place outside of Missouri. The only exception to the policy is for Active Duty Military Personnel. See the next item for more information.

  • Maybe. On July 12th, 2012 Missouri Governor Jay Nixon signed into law SB 719, which partly states "the successful completion of a military motorcycle rider training course that meets or exceeds the Motorcycle Safety Foundation curriculum standards by an applicant who is an active member of the U.S. armed forces, shall constitute an actual demonstration of the person's ability to exercise due care in the operation of a motorcycle or motor tricycle, and no further driving test shall be required to obtain a motorcycle or motortricycle license or endorsement (section 302.173)." Contact your local Missouri driver's licensing office to determine if the military motorcycle training course you plan to take outside of Missouri will qualify you for a motorcycle endorsement under this law.

  • No. You can also get your license by taking the written test and the riding test at an approved testing site. If you choose this method you must provide your own motorcycle for testing.

  • You can get a learner's permit by taking the written Motorcycle Operator's test at your local state testing office.

  • No. But you must have a State issued ID.

  • Yes. As stated by Missouri state law, Missouri Motorcycle RiderCourses are open to any person who is, "At least fifteen and one-half (15 1/2) years (15 years and 182 days) old on the day the course begins." Students under the age of 18 must have the written permission of a parent or legal guardian.

  • There are no guarantees that you will pass the course. We will do everything within our power to help you be successful, but you are responsible for your learning and riding safely. Your instructors are required to dismiss any student who becomes a safety hazard or fails to respond to coaching.

  • No.

  • You need to bring your I.D. If you are under 18 years old, you will also need to bring a parent or guardian to the beginning of the class to sign a waiver. You need to have a 3/4 or full face DOT helmet, eye protection, a long sleeve shirt or jacket, full fingered gloves, long pants, and sturdy footwear that covers your ankle. Some locations offer loaner helmets. Check with your local training site to see if they offer loaner helmets. If you are riding your own motorcycle, you must bring current registration and proof of insurance, and pass an inspection.

  • Yes, we will provide two wheel motorcycles for all beginner 2 wheel courses. Some locations provide 3 wheel motorcycles for the 3 wheel course.

  • We use 125 cc up to 500 cc training motorcycles.

  • You are required to provide your own motorcycle in the Experienced or Advanced Rider Courses. You MAY use your own motorcycle in the beginner course IF it has been modified to accommodate a disability. If you want to ride your own motorcycle in a class you must provide proof of insurance and your motorcycle must pass a pre-ride safety inspection. You may ride your personal scooter in the beginner class as long as it has an engine size of 50cc or above, is insured, and passes a safety inspection.

  • Yes. The State of Missouri classifies scooters with an engine size of over 50ccs as "motorcycles" eligible for a full Class M" endorsement. You may use your personal scooter or borrow one of ours if one is available. Your personal scooter must be over 50 ccs, and not over 500 ccs, have insurance, and pass a safety inspection in order to be used in the class.

  • If you are late for any reason or fail to show up to the class, your registration fee may be forfeited. Check with your training provider to confirm their policy before you register.

  • Duplicate completion cards can be ordered from the MMSP state office at 660.543.8416. There is a $15 replacement card fee.

  • Check with your insurance company to see if they offer discounts for motorcycle safety classes.

Find a training location

There are courses at 21 training sites around the state, Find a location near you.

The Mission of the Missouri Motorcycle Safety Program is to provide quality motorcycle rider education and enhance motorcycle rider safety to the citizens and visitors of the State of Missouri.